Is your property exempt from registration?

The RTB remit does not extend to:

  • tenancies in local authority housing.
  • holiday letting agreements.
  • the Rent a Room scheme.
  • if a tenant lives with the spouse, parent or child of the landlord and there is no written letting agreement in place.
  • if the property has been let through AirBNB (an online residential accommodation booking service).


Typically most licence arrangements do not come under the remit of the RTB. Please note that because a licence is named as such, it does not necessarily mean it is not operating as a tenancy for the purposes of the RTB. 

A licence is usually said to exist where a person is:

  • Staying in a hotel, guesthouse, hostel.
  • Sharing with the owner in Rent a Room / digs / college properties.
  • Staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant.

There is a formal licence agreement where the owner is not resident, not entitield to exclusive use and has contining access to the accommodation.
The law gives a licencee the right to request the landlord to allow him / her to become a tenant provided:

  • He/she is in lawful occupation of the dwelling.
  • A tenancy is in place for at least six months.