A tenant must be informed of any review to the rent with at least 90 days notice in writing (an email or text is not considered appropriate notice of a rent review) of a change in rent. The notice must state:
- The new rent on the property,
- When the new rent starts,
- That any dispute must be referred to the RTB within 28 days of getting the notice or before the date the new rent starts, and
- That, in the opinion of the landlord, the new rent is not greater than the market rent of properties of a similar size, type and character and with similar terms of the tenancy in a comparable area,
- The rent for three properties of a similar size, type and character and in a comparable area,
- The date on which the notice is signed.
- A statement as to how the rent set under the tenancy of the dwelling has been calculated having regard to the Rent Pressure Zone formula.
- It must be signed by the landlrd or his or her authorised agent.
These Sample notices of rent review can be used to create a rent review notice.