Appointment as Chairperson to the Residential Tenancies Board
The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the role of Chairperson of the RTB.
The Chairperson of the RTB is responsible for the strategic leadership of the Board and ensuring its effectiveness in all aspects of its role and for compliance with the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies. The position requires an understanding and knowledge of the areas relevant to the RTB’s mandate and work and the ability to communicate effectively the functions, challenges, standards and demands applicable to that mandate.
Persons being proposed by Ministers as Chairpersons of State Bodies are required to make themselves available to the appropriate Oireachtas Committee to discuss the approach that they will take to their role as Chairperson and their views about the future contribution of the RTB.
The appointed candidate will be required to:
- Chair the Board of the RTB, leading the strategic direction and risk oversight of the RTB
- Lead the Board through a significant period of change for the RTB and through the implementation of a complex body of new legislation
- Ensure that the Board supports and challenges the RTB Director and the RTB Executive team in the planning and delivery of the RTB strategy, Government policy, and the RTB’s delivery of services
- Promote a culture of active risk management and accountability within the RTB
- Ensure that the RTB achieves value for money for all funds received from the public and the Exchequer and promotes an organisational culture of continuous improvement
- Develop a constructive relationship with all stakeholders, including the Department of Housing and the Minister
- Ensure that the Board and Chairperson’s role fulfil the expectations set for them in the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies (2016)
- Make a time commitment to the work commensurate with the role and responsibilities of the Chairperson.
Candidates should have the capacity to quickly develop an understanding of the complex legal and operational environment in which the RTB operates.
Candidates for the position must have previous experience of Board membership or have significant senior leadership experience which demonstrates an ability to chair a Board, and be able to demonstrate proven experience at an appropriately senior level in at least two of the following areas:
- Change management
- Corporate and business management
- Financial oversight and performance evaluation/programme assessment
- Strategic planning
- Legal experience
- Regulatory experience in the public or private sector
Candidates must also be able to demonstrate in their application:
- Achievement at an appropriately senior level displaying the necessary vision, leadership and executive skills, as well as the personal resilience required as Chair
- Experience of effectively leading an organisation through a period of operational and legislative change
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including consensus building and influencing skills and the ability to develop constructive relationships with all relevant stakeholders
- The ability to think, plan and act strategically and where appropriate to contribute to the development of organisational strategies
- A strong track record, at an appropriately senior level of best practice in governance, risk management and compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- High levels of professional and personal integrity and probity, imbued with a progressive public-sector ethos.
An understanding of rental/housing policy and regulation at national or international level
Closing Date: 15:00 on Monday 29th April 2019