1. The Residential Tenancies Board (“RTB”, “us” and “we”) respects your right to privacy in relation to your use of this website http://www.rtb.ie/ (the “Website”) and this Privacy Statement sets out our policy towards safeguarding information which you disclose to us. Any personal information which you supply or volunteer to the RTB via this website will be treated in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 and/or such amending or replacement legislation as may be adopted in Ireland from time to time. The RTB as data controller is committed to protecting your privacy. Under data protection law, as it stands at 20 December 2012, the RTB is entitled to transfer information to the Revenue Commissioners, Local Authorities, NPPR, Central Statistics Office and Department of Social Protection. There may be other public bodies with whom the RTB are entitled to exchange information with in the future.
2. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. If you do not read or if you disagree with any aspect of this Privacy Statement, you should deactivate cookies on your browser and refrain from inputting any information into any form on the website. By visiting this Website and continuing to use, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Statement. Please review our Terms Governing Use of the Website at http://public.rtb.ie/Disclaimer.htmlwhich also govern your use of the Website
COLLECTION AND THE USE OF INFORMATION
3. In order to access certain portions of the Website you will be required to register by providing certain limited information regarding you and/or the company or party you represent and in doing so you consent to the collection, use and transfer of such information under the terms of this Privacy Statement. Throughout this Website you may have an opportunity to provide us with information relating to you such as your name, email address, home address, telephone number, credit card details and personal public security number. We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to respond to an inquiry or request for information;
- to explain new or updated features of our services or changes to the service;
- to communicate with you regarding customer service related issues (including any changes to the service);
- to alert you to materials posted to the website which may be of interest;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- to enable us to discharge our statutory functions;
- to enable Realex process credit card payments that you submit; and
- to enable landlords or their agents to register tenancy agreements.
4. Personal information which we collect from you will only be used for the purposes for which it was provided by you and will not be released to any third parties except to the extent set out below.
5. If at any time after giving us this personal information you decide that you no longer wish us to hold or use this information, or in the case that the information becomes out of date, you are free to notify us in writing to the address set out below or by emailing us at Data.Protection@rtb.ie, and we will endeavour to remove or rectify the information promptly in accordance with RTB procedures and all applicable laws.
6. We do not collect or keep your personal information for any longer than is necessary for the above purposes or as required by law.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
7. The RTB may disclose your personal information to third parties, including a person acting on your behalf, landlords and/or landlords agents and tenants, as applicable, that are a party to your tenancy, local authorities, the Minister for Social and Family Affairs, the Revenue Commissioners and the Central Statistics Office, as required or permitted by law, as agreed by you, for dispute resolution purposes or, in limited circumstances, to third parties wishing to make a complaint.
8. We may also disclose personal information relating to you to third parties where we work with third parties to provide certain services on our Website, to Realex who processes credit card payments, or in order to conform to any requirements of law or to comply with any legal process, as well as to protect and defend the rights of property of the RTB
RIGHT OF ACCESS AND RECTIFICATION
9. You have a right to access your personal information which you may have supplied via this Website (for which we may charge a small fee which will be no greater than €6.35). To exercise this right, you must write to the Data Protection Officer, The Residential Tenancies Board, PO Box 47, Clonakilty, County Cork or email the Data Protection Officer at Data.Protection@rtb.ie.
10. You should include any personal identifiers which you supplied earlier via the Website (e.g. name; address; phone number; e-mail address). We may request proof of identification (for verification purposes) when you request access to your personal information. Your request will be dealt with as soon as possible and will not take more than 40 days to process. You also have a right to have inaccurate information corrected. If you discover that we do hold inaccurate information about you, you have a right to instruct us to correct that information. Such an instruction must be in writing or sent via email to our Data Protection Officer (please see contact details set out in section 9 above)
12. The RTB takes its security responsibilities in protecting your personal data seriously and employs the most appropriate physical and technical measures, including staff training and awareness to ensure as far as possible that adequate protection is provided.
13. The RTB uses industry standard methods of encryption to ensure confidentiality of all data transferred over the internet between the user’s computer and the RTB’s ICT systems. You should note that while we take reasonable precautions to safeguard information transmitted between the Website and users of the Website, we may be unable to prevent unauthorised access to such information by third parties or inadvertent disclosures of such information during transmission. This caveat applies to all websites that a user visits and not just the RTB. We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology , as do all the well known internet shopping sites, to encrypt and safeguard sensitive information transmitted (e.g PPSN, credit card details). Users acknowledge this risk when communicating with the Website. As you access relevant areas on this site, you will see the padlock in your browser’s security display indicating the transfer of all data between your browser and our site has been encrypted
ACCURATE, COMPLETE AND UP TO DATE DATA
14. The RTB endeavours to hold only accurate, complete and up-to-date personal data, that is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained. You may write to or email our Data Protection Officer (please see contact details set out in section 9 above). We have a policy to review all data supplied and to delete that which is not necessary
RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
15. We will not hold data for any longer than necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained or as required by law. Regarding your credit card details, we do not store this information at all. You submit this information directly to a third party credit card processor, Realex and the RTB only retains the authorisation code that they provide.
16. Where an account has not been fully set up, a fixed time period will be allowed to give the applicant a reasonable time to complete the process. Partially set up accounts will be deleted after a period of 14 days.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
17. You should also be aware that where you link to another website from our Website, we have no control over that other website. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee that the controller of that website will respect your privacy in the same manner as the RTB. For the avoidance of doubt, we are not responsible for the content or practices relating to personal information of other websites
18. The RTB reserves the right in its sole discretion to amend this Privacy Statement at any time, and you should regularly check this Privacy Statement for any such amendments
19. Neither the RTB, its directors, employees, servants and agents, affiliates or other representatives shall be liable in respect of claims, liabilities, costs, demands, causes of action, damages, losses, expenses (including without limitation, reasonable legal fees and costs of proceedings) arising out of or in connection with your access to or use of the Website or the use and/or dissemination of personal information relating to you in accordance with this Privacy Statement and your consents
GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
20. This Privacy Statement (and all non-contractual relationships between you and us) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Irish law. Both parties hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ireland.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
21. If you wish to contact us to discuss any matter in relation to this Privacy Statement or our processing of your personal data, please feel free to contact us by email at Data.Protection@rtb.ie.
GLOSSARY OF TECHNICAL TERMS USED
22. Web browser - The piece of software you use to read web pages. For example Microsoft Internet Explorer and FireFox.
23. IP address - The identifying details for your computer (or your internet company’s computer), expressed in "internet protocol" code (for example 192.168.72.34). Every computer connected to the web has a unique IP address, although the address may not be the same every time a connection is made.
24. Cookies - Small pieces of information, stored in simple text files, placed on your computer by a website. Cookies can be read by the web site on your subsequent visits. The information stored in a cookie may relate to your browsing habits on the web page, or a unique identification number. Generally speaking, cookies do not contain personal information from which you can be identified, unless you have furnished such information to the website